Everyone goes through emotional pain, loss and tragedy. It is in these broken times in our lives that we have an opportunity to turn to God and others for encouragement, healing and especially strength.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
– 2 Timothy 1:7
What Are Power Groups™?
Power Groups™ are teams of people that huddle together to support, strategize, motivate and celebrate.
Support - Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:12).
Strategize – Be alert and sober-minded. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour (1 Peter 5:8).
Motivate – Therefore encourage one another and build each other up (1 Thessalonians 5:11). I can do all things through him who strengthens me (Philippians 4:13).
Celebrate – Celebrate and be glad, this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found (Luke 15:32).
The enemy is always waiting for the opportune moment to tempt us and damage relationships. Life is not easy with marriage, children, career and financial problems, just as it was started with the early church God does not want us to stand alone. It is problematic to grow and maintain a relationship with the Lord without being spiritually linked to a team of like-minded, loving people dedicated to each other and carry the Cross.
Men and women are separated into same gender Christian units ranging from 6-25 people each and may vary in relation to needs, age and denomination. Each group has a Team Leader and are flexible to meet in churches, schools, homes or other places provided it’s safe with privacy and confidentiality. With no specific order, the meeting should consist of worship, Bible Study, outreach, testimonies, ministry, and strategy followed by a time of fellowship and or meal.
How Do They Function?
Groups meet various times and days every month. It is best to meet at least once every two weeks and even better to meet once a week or as many times as possible.
Power Groups™ can provide a comfortable, non-threatening avenue to reach out to people who have difficulties with pornography, erotica, addictions and other life challenges that may or may not belong to a church. It begins by providing a phone number, email address on the church website or bulletin; to reach out to the community the contact information can be listed in the newspaper, social networks, radio broadcasts or via local stations.
Accountability is extremely important in a Power Groups™, one or more people in the group can be accountability partners for existing and new members in a group. Accountable partners can be the first line of defense against the urge or being tempted.
Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts (Acts 2:46).
What is the purpose of Power Groups™?
- Worship: The reason why we exist as Christians is to glorify the Lord Almighty. Regardless, of time, occasion and those present, God deserves the deepest confirmation of our love and praise through prayer, song and bible verse.
- Out Reach: One of the greatest gifts we have been given is to make a difference in someone’s life. People are waiting for us as Christians to reach out our hand to show the love, mercy and forgiveness of Jesus Christ.
- Relationships: We all have a need for connection with people that will show us love and friendship. Groups provide an atmosphere where people’s social needs are met and grow in commitment and trust as they worship and share their lives.
- Healing: Everyone goes through emotional pain, loss and tragedy. It is in these broken times in our lives that trustworthy friends have an opportunity to be the light of Christ providing encouragement, strength and especially prayer for healing.
- Leadership: As the ministry/group increases, people who are called to leadership also need to grow. People can be trained effectively to emerge and embrace the vision to promote the spiritual gifts of others to fulfill the cause of Christ.
- Knowledge: Being aware of God’s existence is not enough to sustain a committed relationship with the Lord. It is evident that knowledge of God is the greatest asset that a human can possess which comes from in-depth group bible study.
- Security: Trouble, misfortune and suffering often goes unannounced for many reasons but mainly due to public perception. Groups provide a secure place and time for people to share their personal difficulties and struggles.
- Expansion: Growth is exciting and inspiring, when new friends join the group everyone is blessed. Once a group reaches capacity and leadership is in place new groups can be formed to reach out to more people searching for the love of Christ.